Town Documents

Shoreland Zone ApplicationDocuments are presented in PDF format. To save to your computer, right-click on the link and choose “Save target as” on a PC.

Municipal Programs and Authorities

Under home rule authority, a town may assume certain regulatory powers. However, local ordinances and regulations cannot conflict with applicable federal or state statutes or regulations. In some cases, the state or federal government has expressly delegated authority to local governments to enact more stringent standards (such as a number of environmental laws). In the near shore environment, primary municipal programs and authorities include:

Public Facilities and Shore Access Maps of Machiasport

Comprehensive Plan

Town Ordinances

Town Ordinances are the local laws and regulations of a municipality. Local ordinances may be enacted by the municipal legislative body (the town meeting or council), or in some cases adopted by the municipal officers, according to certain prescribed procedures. The Town clerk plays a key role throughout this process by accepting and recording proposed ordinances and ordinance amendments. The clerk is also required to make those documents available to the public for inspection, and may be asked to ensure the proper posting of proposed ordinances, amendments, or comprehensive plans before the meeting of the legislative body. In some cases, the clerk may also participate in providing special notice to individuals particularly affected by a proposed ordinance or ordinance amendment.

The general process for enactment of ordinances is outlined in Statute. State law also provides particular procedures for zoning ordinances and comprehensive plan adoption.

1. Posting. The proposed ordinance must be attested and posted in the manner provided for town meetings (i.e., at least 7 days before the day of the meeting).

CITIZEN NOTE: Copies of All Town Ordinances are available at the Town Office

Town Ordinances

CITIZEN NOTE: At the June 24, 2013 Annual Town Meeting the citizens voted against the Planning Board’s recommendation to revise the Shoreland Zoning Ordinance and Map.  The vote was 24 yes and 18 no.  Please refer to the Town’s 1992 Shoreland Zoning Ordinance and map and the Maine Department of Environmnetal State Guidelines on building in the State’s Resource Protection Zone.

Shoreland Zoning Handbook

Shoreland Zoning Handbook

Shoreland Zoning Newsletter Winter 2014

Shoreland Zoning Newsletter Spring 2015


Land Use and Shoreland Zoning Resources

Planning Board Documents

It is the responsibility; of the landowner to be aware of the Town Ordinances and to obtain all necessary Permits before starting construction. Each construction project must conform to the Building Permit Ordinance and all applicable codes. When in doubt, whether or not a Permit is required, it is advisable to consult with the Planning Board. (The Planning Board meets on the second Thursday of each month at 7:00 p.m. at the Municipal Complex.

Building Permits from the Planning Board are required for:

  • Building new construction
  • Altering/adding beyond original footprint
  • Replacing,removing, or relocating a building/structure, mobile home/trailer
  • Adding or erecting temporary building/structure for more than 90 days
  • adding porch/deck greater than 25 sq. ft.
  • Installing a manufactured home/mobile home/trailer
  • Building a free-standing structure not attached to another building greater than 120 sq. ft.
  • Installing a driveway or culvert
  • Installing an outdoor wood-fired furnace
  • Adding one (1) or more bedrooms
  • Roofing-increasing the volume such as raising the roof or adding a dormer
  • Building a foundation: (Slab, Frost Wall, Basement)
  • Constructing a windmill, or tower, including but not limited to a communication tower
  • Changing the use of a property, for example, converting an apartment, business, or residence to commercial use and vice versa

Code Enforcement Officer/Plumbing Permit Documents

Permits are Needed from the Code Enforcement Officer for the following:

  • Moving 10 cu. yds of material in/out of the Shoreland Zone
  • Adding any construction in the Shoreland Zone
  • Installing a Septic System (HHE-200)
  • Harvesting Timber in the Shoreland Zone

Note: Plumbing Permits may be obtained from the Code Enforcement Officer.

Road Commissioner Permit

If a driveway/culvert is being added on a town road, private road, or deeded access road, the landowner must obtain a Driveway/Culvert Permit from the Road Commissioner. Contact the Town Office for more information.

Maine Department of Transportation Permit

If a driveway/culvert is being added on a state road, the landowner must obtain a Driveway/Culvert Permit from the Maine Department of Transportation (MDOT). For more information contact the town Office.

Note: The Driveway/Culvert Permit must be attached to the Building Permit. If the Permit is sought separately a single fee of $40. is required. If the Permit is sought at the same time as the Building Permit, no additional fee is required.

Planning Board Annual Report

Town Report

Town Tax Maps

Machiasport Tax Maps

index 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 Machiasport Tax Maps 2014


Commitment Book


For ease of searching the commitment book, download the PDF file first. Once downloaded to your computer you can use the “Find” feature in Adobe Acrobat to search the document. To download to your computer, right click on the link and select “Save target as” to save to your computer.

2012 Machiasport Commitment Book

2013 Machiasport Commitment Book

2014 Machiasport Commitment Book

Commitment Book 2015